Climbing the Engineering Ladder
invest in domain knowledge.
- underpinnings of this chat are job hopping every 1 - 2 years vs staying 5 years plus.
- makes it a case of dev 1 working on surface level problems, while dev 2 the domain expert tackles the deep work.
- ‘good engineers are known not to get distracted by the things they don’t know’
- ‘you shouldn’t write software expecting it never to change’
- ‘as long as you have code in production, you have legacy code - cause you have to pay to maintain it, extend it etc’
- & she generally has a big respect for engineers that work on & maintain legacy code - part of being a domain expert