AWS Well Architected Framework
of what you expected from a well put together & modern cloud environment.
- Operational Excellence
- Performance efficiency
- Cost Optimization
When architecting workloads, you make trade-offs between pillars based on your business context.
Security and operational excellence are generally not traded-off against the other pillars.
General Design Principles
these are the points that stuck out for one reason or another:
- Drive architectures using data: see how your architecture decisions affect your workload(s).
- Improve through game days: “Test how your architecture and processes perform by regularly scheduling game days to simulate events in production”.
The ability to support development & run workloads effectively, gain insight into their operation… continuously improve process & procedures to deliver business value
- Perform operations as code: think along the lines of IaC. I’ve spent some time reading into the why & the how of it. reduce human error, automate away the stuff that machines are good at, as humans, focus on the ‘creative’ elements of delivering value.
- Make frequent, small, reversible changes: without affecting customers when possible.
- Refine operations procedures frequently
- Anticipate failure: test your failure scenarios & validate their impact.
- Learn from all operational failures