these are notes from a podcast Ronny shared with me after I ranted to him about not knowing what to do with myself on a free Saturday morning. great chat, we had.
- episode #89 of this show
- journal before bed & upon waking up. This is a way of closing open loops, and staying mindful about your days
- it’s not about emptying your mind completely for 30 minutes straight, that’s an unreasonable ask
- the practice is more about learning how to come back to your mantra or surroundings for even as little as 3 - 5 seconds at a time. do that over and over
- when you notice your mind starting to wander, acknowledge it, gently nudge yourself back to why you’re here
- lay in bed, in complete silence if possible
- close your eyes, make the room dark etc
- as much sensory deprivation as possible
- try this for like 10 minutes. magical
- helpful when you’re switching contexts, eg going from work gears to creative mode
- accumulating small wins helps build momentum
- momentum combats the resistance
- momentum results in progress
- small wins is about practicing the executive function muscle
- a quick example: instead of letting the dishes ‘soak’ after use, clean that shit up when you’re done, lol.
- you generally feel good and capable of more as you accumulate these small wins
- a big part of the narrative in this episode reminded me of The War of Art.
excerpt from a text I sent:
The war of art should be re-titled “Resistance” 😂random thought I had earlier. that’s the core topic of the book, for me at least